The Seas of the Outer Hebrides project was established in January 2019, and our work during the year focused on:
- Raising awareness of the project both in the Outer Hebrides marine region and further afield.
- Identifying stakeholders and building relationships with important community stakeholder groups such as the Western Isles Inshore Fisheries Group, educational providers and local community organisations.
- Listening to community views on anything marine related, with a focus on Marine Protected Areas.
- Gathering levels of interest in possible formats for planned engagement events.
- A presence at drop-in events during summer 2019. These events were held alongside events relating to a Government consultation on three proposed Marine Protected Areas for the Outer Hebrides.
- Other opportunistic engagement e.g. workshops, school events, pop-up stands at existing community events.
- Piloting a creative approach to community engagement at the Hebridean International Film Festival.